Autumn Kale and Pear Salad
This hearty salad is full of bold flavors and crunchy textures.
- 2 bosc pears 15 ounces/432 grams
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- pinch cayenne
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice juice from about ½ orange
- ¼ teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups red cabbage 6 ounces/166 grams thinly sliced
- 4 cups chopped kale 3.5 ounces/100 grams
- 3 cups baby kale 1.6 ounces/45 grams
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- ½ cups shaved pecorino romano 1.7 ounces/49 grams
- salt and pepper
Peel and chop bosc pears into medium dice.
Melt butter in a small saute pan over medium heat. Add the diced pears, browning them for 3-4 minutes. Add the cardamom and the cayenne. Continue to brown the pears for 5-6 minutes.
Add the brown sugar, letting it melt and bubble. After 3 minutes, take the pan off the heat and add the ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Let the pears cool while you prepare the other ingredients.
I find it best to use a jar to make a vinaigrette. You can use a small bowl and a whisk. Combine the orange zest, orange juice, and cider vinegar in a jar. Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and let it dissolve.
Add the mustard and ginger. Shake jar to combine. Add ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the jar. Shake to combine.
Thinly slice the red cabbage.
Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
In a large bowl combine the two kinds of kale, red cabbage, shallots, golden raisins, sliced almonds, and shaved pecorino romano.
Add the vinaigrette to the bowl and toss salad to distribute.
Lastly, add the browned pears, tossing to combine with the rest of the salad.
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 274mg | Potassium: 1510mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 13261IU | Vitamin C: 311mg | Calcium: 435mg | Iron: 5mg